Sunday Sept. 30th |8 a.m. | 202 and McQueen, Chandler
Bring the whole family down for this safety and awareness event which will include family rides, guest speakers and bike safety education. All proceeds to AZ disabled sports. Visit http://brettsaksfoundation.org/for more details.
Free parking | $5 attendance per family
$10 per individual for safety ride | $25 per family for safety ride | Tot ride for ages 5 & under is free
No Comments »
TBAG is planning some great rides for May, one a morning ride to a great downtown coffe spot, and the other a family and kids ride to Kiwanis for movies in the park.
Morning Coffee Run – Saturday May 12th
Breakfast at Jobot in Phoenix
We’ll meet at 6:45 am at Tempe Beach Park (NW corner of Mill & Rio Salado) and roll out at 7:00 am. The ride will go down Washington, the Grand Canal and Roosevelt Row. If it gets too warm on the way back we have the option of taking the train. Helmets are required for the ride.
RSVP for this ride on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/217990864970166/
Family Movie Ride – Friday May 18th
See Kung Fu Panda 2 at Kiwanis Park for free!
Meet at Daley Park on College, north of Broadway, at 6 pm. The movie starts at 7 pm, so we’ll start riding at 6:15 and take College Ave. to the park. Bring a blanket to sit on. There will be ice, water as well as some juice and sodas. Please make sure that you have working lights and wear your helmets!
RSVP for this ride on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/422018631144707/
No Comments »
Posted by Robert in Bike Month, Bike Rodeo, Events, Free, Great Arizona Bicycle Festival, Mesa, News, Newsletter, Safety, SanTan Wheelie Jam, volunteer, Youth
The City of Mesa and the Downtown Mesa Association is hosting a new Arizona bicycle festival on Saturday April 14th. TBAG and our youth program is going to be a big part of this event. TBAG and WE-CYCLE-USA will be running and sponsoring the Kids Area, Bike Rodeo and the Bike Swap. There is still time to get involved so if you want to help let us know.
We will have carnival games, Bounce houses and fun for the kids. We will also have a Bike Swap with venders selling bike stuff in the streets of downtown Mesa for the big kids. This is the first year of this event but it is combining several events that have been going on for years. This year’s event will be kicked off by the Start of the Tour De Mesa. There will also be a Cyclovia witch will close off the streets of downtown Mesa to Cars. There will be a bike swap in the streets, historic bike tour, arts, crafts, live music, food and fun for everyone. For more info go to the web site at www.azbikefest.org or contact Robert at 602-516-0002
No Comments »
As the Tempe Bicycle Action Group Youth Coordinator, I attended this year’s Youth Bike Conference in New York City to meet with other organizations and learn about programs targeting at-risk-youth. I was very impressed by the number of young people working to improve cycling throughout the country. I also learned a lot about different programs that recycle bicycles and help those in need. I attended workshops on fundraising, organizing bike rides and community advocacy. I would like to Recycle-A-Bicycle for hosting this years event. They did a great job and made everyone feel at home in the Big Apple. http://www.recycleabicycle.org
Robert Chacon T.B.A.G. Youth Coordinator
No Comments »
We’re having our Annual Meeting on Nov 20th @ 7pm at Boulders on Broadway. This week we’re doing a series of blog posts about each committee, their goals, and what you can do to help.
Tempe Bicycle Action Group Youth Programs Committee
The TBAG youth committee is dedicated to providing cycling education and safety programs to youth.
Committee Chair: Robert Chacon (Robert@biketempe.org)
- Hosted San Tan Wheelie Jam (kid’s area) provided crafts, games and activities for dozens of kids also providing helmets sizing and gave away free helmets to 60 kids during the event in central Phoenix.
- Chandler Summer Splash kid’s bike area providing cycling educational info for kids and parents, arts and crafts for dozens of kids. We also provided Helmet sizing and free helmets for 30 kids.
- Safe Routes to School 2 day seminar on SRTS grant programs where we learned about the program and what’s being done to further cycling programs for kids – formed new committee, applied for $1000 mini grant for bike racks for Scales Elementary.
- ASU Art Museum Family Fun Day set up a table and talked with kids and their parents about bicycle safety also gave out information and treats for the kids.
- Central Park Neighborhood Center grand re-opening celebration. Sponsored a Bike Rodeo and bicycle repair clinic for kids at Central Park in south Phoenix. Providing a Bike rodeo with a full range of bike safety drills and activities for kids. Hosted a bike clinic and fixed approximately 20 bikes and instructed over 30 kids in bike safety.
- Sponsored a monthly bike clinic for the kids at Central park in south Phoenix. Clinic is held on the 3rd Friday of every month from 4:30 to 6:30 providing bike repair training for 20 to 30 kids each month.
- Hosted a kid’s area at this year’s Tour De Fat providing a (Kids Fun Zone) at the event. This area provided the kids with environmentally friendly and bicycle related activities. We also hosted a bike rodeo to teach bicycle safety.
- Provided setup assistance and bike Marshals for the Tour De Tempe.
Goals for 2012:
- Support the youth area programs at the 2 main TBAG fundraising events Tour de Fat and San Tan Wheelie Jam.
- Attend events in the community to promote bicycle safety for kids and adults.
- Sponsor and host Bike clinics for at risk youth throughout the valley.
- Support and host Bike Rodeos in cooperation with schools and other organizations.
As the new youth coordinator for Tempe Bicycle Action Group I need your help. We plan on working with kids throughout the valley promoting bicycle safety, good cycling habits and just having a good time on bikes. If you like working with kids and having fun please contact us and volunteer for our youth programs we welcome all skill levels and appreciate any help we can get.
No Comments »