We’re having our Annual Meeting on Nov 20th @ 7pm at Boulders on Broadway. This week we’re doing a series of blog posts about each committee, their goals, and what you can do to help.
Tempe Bicycle Action Group Youth Programs Committee
The TBAG youth committee is dedicated to providing cycling education and safety programs to youth.
Committee Chair: Robert Chacon (Robert@biketempe.org)
– Hosted San Tan Wheelie Jam (kid’s area) provided crafts, games and activities for dozens of kids also providing helmets sizing and gave away free helmets to 60 kids during the event in central Phoenix.
– Chandler Summer Splash kid’s bike area providing cycling educational info for kids and parents, arts and crafts for dozens of kids. We also provided Helmet sizing and free helmets for 30 kids.
– Safe Routes to School 2 day seminar on SRTS grant programs where we learned about the program and what’s being done to further cycling programs for kids – formed new committee, applied for $1000 mini grant for bike racks for Scales Elementary.
– ASU Art Museum Family Fun Day set up a table and talked with kids and their parents about bicycle safety also gave out information and treats for the kids.
– Central Park Neighborhood Center grand re-opening celebration. Sponsored a Bike Rodeo and bicycle repair clinic for kids at Central Park in south Phoenix. Providing a Bike rodeo with a full range of bike safety drills and activities for kids. Hosted a bike clinic and fixed approximately 20 bikes and instructed over 30 kids in bike safety.
– Sponsored a monthly bike clinic for the kids at Central park in south Phoenix. Clinic is held on the 3rd Friday of every month from 4:30 to 6:30 providing bike repair training for 20 to 30 kids each month.
– Hosted a kid’s area at this year’s Tour De Fat providing a (Kids Fun Zone) at the event. This area provided the kids with environmentally friendly and bicycle related activities. We also hosted a bike rodeo to teach bicycle safety.
– Provided setup assistance and bike Marshals for the Tour De Tempe.
Goals for 2012:
– Support the youth area programs at the 2 main TBAG fundraising events Tour de Fat and San Tan Wheelie Jam.
– Attend events in the community to promote bicycle safety for kids and adults.
– Sponsor and host Bike clinics for at risk youth throughout the valley.
– Support and host Bike Rodeos in cooperation with schools and other organizations.
As the new youth coordinator for Tempe Bicycle Action Group I need your help. We plan on working with kids throughout the valley promoting bicycle safety, good cycling habits and just having a good time on bikes. If you like working with kids and having fun please contact us and volunteer for our youth programs we welcome all skill levels and appreciate any help we can get.