TBAG would like to issue a great big ‘thank you’ to everyone who participated in the Tour de Fat. We could not have done any of it without our generous volunteers, and the whole exercise would have been pointless without the impressive hordes of bike and beer fans that participated. And it goes without saying that we all owe New Belgium a debt of gratitude, for this event and for making such tasty beer. The proceeds will be divided between TBAG, the Mountain Bike Association of Arizona and the Bike Saviours.
Now for the stats:
- 7000 people participated
- 5000 people got wristbands
- The parade stretched from Rio Salado all the way to University (that’s a lot of bikes!)
- You donated nearly $2000 during the parade, which will go to the local Bike Patrol.
- And (drumroll please…) nearly $45,000 raised through beer sales for local bike advocacy!
There was a lot of positive pro-bike energy there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people on bikes at the same time. Let’s take that energy and enjoy another year of biking in AZ!
Here are some upcoming opportunities to do just that:
- Saturday, October 18, 10 am, Tempe Beach Park Entrance: Cupcake Ride to Lulu’s Cupcakes (4-mile leisurely ride or 15-mile appetite-stimulating ride)
- Saturday, October 26: 13th annual Tour de Tempe bike ride
Registration starts at 7 am, the ride starts at 8:30 am, departing from Kiwanis Park
TBAG volunteers will be on hand to serve as ride marshals.
See the Tempe in Motion website for more details.
- Sunday, November 2, 3-5 pm: Annual Membership Meeting, at Boulders on Broadway. This is your chance to help shape TBAG for the coming years!
Check out the rest of our photos, complements of Ali Darby.