Want to have a say in Tempe’s bike lane, pathway, road and transit planning? Plan on attending the upcoming public meetings on Nov 28th and Dec 1st.
From the city of Tempe:
The city of Tempe will hold a series of open houses for the Tempe Transportation Master Plan (TMP) in order to gather resident feedback related to the needs for mobility/accessibility in Tempe.
The purpose for the Transportation Master Plan is to guide the further development of a citywide multi-modal transportation system integrated with land use plans.
- The TMP provides the policy basis for how transportation funding is spent, and what projects or programs the city focuses on to provide transportation services for its citizens through the year 2040.
- The plan sets these projects and programs within the context of the broader community goals in the General Plan to guide the growth and development of Tempe and enhance quality of life.
Residents are encouraged to attend at least one of the open houses to learn about the plan and provide input.
- Open houses will occur Wednesday, Nov. 28, 6 – 7:30 p.m. at the Tempe Transportation Center in the Don Cassano Community Room, 200 E. Fifth St., 2nd floor and on Saturday, Dec. 1, 9:30 – 11 a.m. at the Tempe History Museum, 809 E. Southern Ave., Tempe.
- The purpose of the open houses is to gather feedback on the character of a balanced street network and options for creating more pedestrian-friendly areas throughout Tempe.
- The public will be introduced to the concept of complete street principles that will be used in the plan. The draft plan will include elements related to streets, pedestrian facilities, bikeways, transit and high-capacity options (freeways and rail).
- Residents can comment online at www.tempe.gov/transportationplan
The 2012 Tempe Tour de Fat was our biggest yet. THANK YOU to everyone who attended! And thanks especially to the 350+ volunteers that made the event possible, YOU ROCK!
This year we raised over $87,000 for local Arizona non-profits like TBAG, Bike Saviours, and the Mountain Bike Association of Arizona. This was the largest amount raised of any Tour de Fat stop, including New Belgium’s home town of Ft Collins!
New Belgium also had a record setting Tour de Fat season in 2012, raising over $500,000 in 15 cities across the country. This is huge for cycling non-profits, thanks New Belgium for all that you do to make cycling more fun, safer, and more popular!
Some stats on the 2012 Tempe event:
Bike Parade Attendance: 5000+
Money Raised: $87,216
Waste Diversion Rate: 88%
And check out New Belgium’s press release covering all of the 2012 Tour de Fat stops:
0001! Bleep blorp. Droids unite!
This Tempe Bicycle Action Group Second Saturday ride isn’t for the flesh bags that now think they control the planet, but for us robots who truly hold all the controls.
On this night, wear your nuts, bolts and brackets with pride!
At 7:30 p.m on Nov. 10, meet up at the spot where those bags of guts often gather, Tempe Beach Park. From there we’ll take Tempe by storm and lubricate our gears with the liquids produced from hops, wheat and yeast, which man calls beer.
Since many of us can’t simply transform and roll out, just grab a two-wheeled vessel the mortal ones deem “bicycles” and join the metal head revelry. All skill levels welcome.
Feeling like a can of rusty bolts and need some ideas on how to shine up for this glorious event? Try cutting some creative patters in cardboard and covering it with tinfoil, or cutting pieces of insulated pipe. Or copy our friend who often bikes through Mill Ave. and start collecting hundreds of aluminum can tabs.
Come join in the robot revolution!
When: Saturday Nov. 10, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Tempe Beach Park Entrance. Mill and Rio Salado
How: For more information and to RSVP for the event, visit https://www.facebook.com/events/383185661757677/
Care about your community? Want to ensure your ideas are being heard? Love your bike?
Become part of the two-wheeled revolution (pun intended) and join Tempe Bicycle Action Group!
TBAG, the organizer of your favorite festival Tempe Tour de Fat, is currently looking for board members and committee volunteers to help lead Tempe into the next year of glorious bikedom.
Whether you’re interested in social rides, bike safety, molding local policy, outreach and media or you simply want to get together more often with your local gearheads, your voice and talent is wanted!
See what TBAG is all about at the annual swashbuckle Nov. 18 at 5 p.m. at Boulders on Broadway.
Run or vote in the TBAG board election, sign up for– or create – a committee and get on first-name basis with the people who are – and have been – fighting to make Tempe a bike-tastic place.
When: Sunday Nov. 18, 5 p.m.
Where: Boulders on Broadway, 530 West Broadway Road, Tempe
How: For more information about TBAG, and to RSVP for the event, visit facebook.com/biketempe